Week 9: Disciple of Decay by Niki Feijen
Since for exercise 2 I have decided to go to Istana Woodneuk to photograph the abandoned mansion, I decided to research more on photographers that photograph abandoned place. Niki Feijen's works have caught my eye as I love how he captures these abandoned places with a very eerie yet beautiful feeling. And the natural lighting has played an important part in portraying the mood which I hope I can apply it to my photographs too. His Disciple of Decay series features abandoned family homes that must once have been filled with conversation and laughter, but now house only the crumbling belongings of their former occupants. Just like how Istana Woodneuk was, it used to be occupied with people but now it is just a house that is decaying with remnants of the previous owners.Decaying and abandoned family homes that remain almost exactly as they were left have been captured on film by Dutch photographer Niki Feijen. In a series of haunting photographs taken at secret locations across western Europe, Feijen shows furniture, ornaments and personal momentoes frozen in time. His Disciple of Decay collection features a neatly-made bed in a rotting farmhouse, an empty armchair in an abandoned home, and a spiral staircase in a deserted monastry.
Sources:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316987/Photographer-Niki-Feijens-eerie-images-abandoned-farm-houses.html









0 comments: